(CNSNews.com) – Former Vice President Mike Pence notified the National Archives last Wednesday that a small batch of classified documents were found last week at his residence in Indiana.
According to Pence’s lawyer, the documents were “inadvertently boxed and transported” to Pence’s home at the end of the Trump administration, and the former vice president was “unaware of the existence of sensitive or classified documents at his personal residence.”
“Vice President Pence has directed his representatives to work with the National Archives to ensure their prompt and secure return,” Pence’s attorney, Greg Jacobs, wrote. “Vice President Pence appreciates the good work of the staff at the National Archives and trusts they will provide proper counsel in response to this letter.”
CBS News White House Correspondent Nancy Cordes asked whether the White House was aware before this afternoon that classified documents had been found at Pence’s residence as well.
However, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre referred her to the White House counsel’s office.
“And does the White House believe that other former high office holders should now go back and check their personal residences out of an abundance of caution to make sure that they’re not holding onto classified documents as well?” Cordes asked.
“That’s not something I can comment from here. I don’t even know the reasoning of the news that we heard about Pence, so I’m just not going to comment from here. I’m not going to comment on any other former elected official, current elected official,” Jean-Pierre said.
“With this particular case, I refer you to the Department of Justice. Anything that relates to this White House, I would refer you to the White House counsel’s office,” the press secretary said.
From CNSNews - READ ORIGINAL
Some media, including videos, may only be available to view at the original.